- A couple of looks at Burkina since the social and military crisis of last year: 1) Burkina Faso: After the Storm and 2) Burkina Faso’s Uneasy Peace.
- Give away $1 million of Reid Hoffman’s (of LinkedIn fame) money through Kiva.
- Oxfam warns of West Africa drought ‘catastrophe’.
- Who are the Tuaregs? Learn a bit more about the continued conflict in Mali and their push for a new independent state. Check out here for some of the information on aid for the displaced populations in Burkina.
- Gold Rush in Burkina. I can confirm that my Google news alert on ‘Burkina Faso’ generally results in a 80% hit rate on mining-related stories.
- Difficulties of data collection in development. Getting the full story can be hard.
- Where should food aid come from? Local vs. international sourcing.
- 10 dead in ethnic clashes in Burkina Faso over the appointment of a new chief.
- Check out Vort Port International’s blog – a non-profit focused on appropriate technologies in the developing world, and founded by a former colleague of mine.
- Orange launches Facebook for all its phones in Africa (sadly Orange isn’t in Burkina).
- 7 worst international aid ideas.
- France officially removes “mademoiselle” from official forms.
- The greatest paper map of the United States you’ll ever see.